Rat lungworm, a parasitic brain worm, is spreading across the southeastern United States.
The worm can infect humans and animals and cause serious neurological damage.
The worm is carried by snails and slugs, which can be accidentally ingested by humans or animals.
Symptoms of infection include headaches, neck stiffness, nausea, and vomiting.
LIKE SHARE SAVE
In severe cases, the infection can lead to meningitis or even death.
The worm is difficult to diagnose and there is no specific treatment.
Scientists are urging people to take precautions, such as washing produce thoroughly and avoiding eating raw snails or slugs.